Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The number one thing that I have learned is true is that the days feel like weeks while on a mission, but the weeks feel like days. Seriously, it is insane how fast time goes by here. It seems like just yesterday that I was sitting down and emailing you! I think this is really how every missionary feels, and I guess it feels pretty cool to be a part of that club now. You know you are jealous ;)

But I seriously love love love being a missionary!! I come to love it more and more every day despite the fact that I am always exhausted to some degree and I am still pretty awful at speaking Spanish (baby steps, baby steps). It seriously is the most wonderful blessing to be a servant of the Lord 24-7. And that is the sole responsibility that I have for 18 months! It is just so amazing. 

The CCM only becomes more beautiful the longer I am here as well. It becomes really easy to forget that you are right in the middle of Mexico City... until you hear sirens ;) but really it is such a blessing to be here. I know that making this school into an MTC was inspired, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to be here. 

And we received two new investigators this week!! (well, teachers that volunteer to be taught by us) it is such an amazing thing though to be able to learn how to teach and bring the spirit in Spanish! The first week it was soo hard, but now I have officially given two whole lessons completely in Spanish and I didn´t even have to refer to any of my notes! The gift of tongues is such a real blessing, and although I still have lots to learn, it has already made such an impact in my life. Anyways, our two new investigators are Omar and Teresa! if there is one thing these two have already taught me is that it is not enough that I know that I have a message that will forever change and bless their lives. They are children of our Heavenly Father, and I am only their as a loving guide to bring them back to Him. Missionary work truly is all about serving and loving, and being their to help in whatever way you can. Just from teaching these teachers in the MTC, I have gained so much love for all of the people that I will meet and teach in Seattle. I am just so excited and honored to be a part of this work ;) 

One thing I learned this week, which was such an amazing experience is how eternal missionary work really is though. We had the opportunity to watch The Mountain of the Lord, which is a movie about how the Salt Lake Temple was built by the early saints. It really is such an amazing movie, and I highly recommend it. But after watching it, and heading back to the classroom with Hermana McDougal, we were talking about it and something hit us that neither of us had ever thought about before. If any of you have seen the Salk Lake Temple, its hard to look at it and not think how there is no way that ordinary people made this amazing building. I have been to Temple Square many times, and I catch myself thinking this basically every time. But what occurred to us was how missionary work is like that temple. We are ordinary 18 and 19 year old kids. Nothing spectacular about us, nothing special. Just ordinary kids. Nothing really, in perspective of the Universe. But we have been given a chance to literally and completely change peoples lives because of the message that we bear. How many people do you know can say that? And what is even more incredible is that we do not really do any of the changing at all. It is all by the power of God. We are just blessed with the amazing opportunity to be the conduits and guides. It was such an incredible moment to know that I, Sierra Brooks, have been given the opportunity to change peoples lives for eternity. And I was so humbled and it really is just such an incredible gift to be out here, in Mexico City, preparing to teach the Spanish people of Seattle. I am so honored and blessed. 

I also want you all to know how much I love you all and pray about you! Know that you Father in Heaven also loves you, more than you could ever know. Dont be afraid to talk to Him, because He is always ready and anxious to hear from you. You are more special and amazing than you could ever know. You are a child of God. 

Really quick, I just want to share a small part of my testimony in Spanish, (yikes, I hope it is right... fingers crossed)

Yo sé que Dios es nuestro Padre Celestial. Yo sé que esta iglesia es la iglesia de Dios en la tierra hoy. Yo sé que soy una hija de Dios, y que Jesucristo es mi Salvador. Yo sé que Cristo vive, y que Él sufrío por mis pecados y desafios y debilidades. Yo le amo a mi Salvador. Y yo sé que ustedes pueden saben estas cosas tambien. En el nomre de Jesucristo, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment