Monday, August 17, 2015

Hello dear loved ones! I hope you all had a wonderful week! I feel like I start these emails the same every single time... so sorry about that. I will try to get more creative :) 

Well, This week was tons of fun for us in Duvall! We were able to do sooo much service around the community and just with individual people as well. Every week, we go to do service at a local transitional housing for women coming from abusive situations called Acres of Diamonds. Usually it is just use missionaries, and we sort, clean, and pretty much do whatever needs to be done. But this week, about 10 minutes after we started, another girl joined us, who just happens to be one of the struggling youth we are trying to work with in the ward!! She came in and we were able to have tons of fun as we sorted donations together, and really start to build a relationship with her. It was definitely a tender mercy from the Lord :) 

We also had an appointment with a former investigator who has been meeting with the missionaries for YEARS and is best friends with a lot of the members. The only catch is that she never wants to act on the message to find out if it is true. Frustrating. But anyways, so we got to go and see her this week, and as soon as she opened the door, she was like "I thought it would be a good idea for us to make duck tacos together to get to know each other!!" ummm what?! haha so we ended up making the weirdest tacos of my ENTIRE life. The Spanish Branch may disown me if they ever find out :) haha but yes, they were DUCK tacos with CHERRY salsa and cucumbers in them. It was soooo weird. Not awful. I have definitely had worse. However, I would probably never call them tacos again.... cause it just seems wrong. 

We were also able to find FOUR NEW INVESTIGATORS this week!!! It was so cool! Duvall is one of the hardest areas to find new investigators because of how small it is. Pretty much EVERYONE has met the missionaries before, EVERYONE has their own church and they are "content," and EVERYONE has a friend who is a member, so why would they talk to us when they can just give their friend a call? It is just awesome. BUT the Lord has us here for a reason, and this week we were definitely blessed! Dont get me wrong, I LOVE it here a lot :) but there are some days where it is definitely a refiners fire :)

Sunday ended on kind of a sad note, when we went to go and visit one of our investigators, John. When he opened the door, all he said was that Michelle (his girlfriend) just barely found out that her father had passed away. he quickly ushered us in and asked us to help comfort her because he really had no clue what to do. So we spent our Sunday evening trying to comfort a woman who, minutes earlier, had received news that her father had unexpectedly passed away. It was so heartbreaking to sit by her side and just focus on helping her breathe. it ended up being a long night, and we were able to help her get to the point where she could eat something. But as we left her with a prayer, I was so grateful for the knowledge that I have of the Plan of Salvation. I know that there is more after this life. I know that because the priesthood was restored through Joseph Smith, I am sealed to my family and I need not worry about what lies ahead because we can always be together. That is so comforting to me,and I am truly so grateful to have that assurance in my life. That is why I am a missionary. That is why this message is important to everyone.

I love you all so much and I am so grateful for all of the love and support I get. I may be horrible at replying to emails and letters, but really I appreciate it so very much. I pray that as we all go forward this week, that we may be able to spend time with those who we love. Don't ever be afraid to tell someone that you love them, never hesitate to give someone a hug. This life is so precious, but it is not the end either. God intends for us to ETERNALLY happy with those who we love as we strive our best to be worthy of those promises.

Les Quiero mucho!!!!!
-la hermana brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment